Sunday 12 June 2011

Body Count

I have always had an interest in all things evil. I'm an avid horror film watcher & adore scary stories. I've read the Satanic Bible and devour articles on serial killers, mass murderers, and everything abhorrent. For most of my life, I've endured nightmares I can never seem to shake, and 22 years ago, I had the misfortune of running into a real life monster...the repercussions of which haunt me to this day, and might for the rest of my life.

But I survived. A lot of people don't, and that's always been a difficult thing for me in some ways.

I knew when I moved to the Midwest, to a larger, faster city, that I would see and hear things I wouldn't back East. But the number of missing and butchered women in Manitoba is astounding to me.

Winnipeg "boasts" the title of Canada's Murder Capital, and for good reason. The sheer numbers are frightening and unimaginable. In May 2011 alone, five people were murdered in five separate incidents. Between January 1st and May 24th, fifteen people became homicide victims. Fifteen. That's three murders per month, with fifteen different killers roaming around the city. Think about that a moment. Reflect that, roll it round in your mind. Fifteen killers. Fifteen victims. Five months. In a city with under a million people living in it.

And to top that, it is believed by the masses that Winnipeg is home to a serial killer little different from American killers like Ted Bundy and Gary "The Green River Killer" Ridgeway. Having looked into this a little bit, I feel the masses might be right.

But even if they aren't, the number of dead and dying and vanished women is grotesque.

No comments:

Post a Comment